Monday, January 10, 2005

Liverpool...

was mainly sunny today. At around 12 noon the outgoing tide was gathering pace as the water flowed seaward. I stopped about two miles upriver from the Pierhead where the Mersey is possibly at its widest. I reckon it must have been a mile or more over choppy brown water to the other side. About 200 yards out from where I watched on the north bank a green bouy secured with a chain was dragged onto its side by the tide's force. The river was so vast it looked unmoving but a seaward wake from the bouy swirled and plunged like a kite's tail kicking against the river's power. I parked on a raised viewing area so could see sunrays cast bright patches of light onto the water's flecked surface. Marvelous. Wasn't able to do it justice though because traveling back to the office meant being in more of a hurry than I wished.

Away you rolling river...

No comments: