Monday, September 05, 2005

On Saturday...

the summer decided once again to show its face. It was a gorgeous day here in the UK and to celebrate me and a mate drove to the seaside, to the Wirral peninsula which is a stretch of land between the River Mersey on the one side and the Dee basin on the other. Across the 3 or 4 mile Dee estuary lies Wales and the early foothills of the Snowdon Mountain Range, not big by Euro standards but impressive nevertheless. The estuary is one of those places where the tide goes out a couple of miles and all that remains is flat golden sands as far as the eye can see. It was scorching so we had the regulation ice cream (de rigueur when at the seaside) and watched donkeys carry little beaming kids. Some people flew kites, some just sat and watched and some just sat. Sheets of aimless sand lifted by the light breeze rushed hither and thither as though they were in a hurry or maybe late like Alice's White Rabbit. Me and my mate? We mainly just sat, soaking it all up. Summertime, and the living is easy...

8 comments:

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Ahhh Dan, don't make me envious. Beaming little kids on donkeys [donkies?], people watching people...

My brother said he and his wife and little daughter were at the seaside one day, dining on fried chicken and salad, and folks were staring, walking by and turning back to stare.

I think it was the fried chicken.

Oh, by the way, you see that first comment, the spam?

You can avoid them with the 'word thing'...go to your blogger dashboard and read about cutting out spam comments.

Dan Flynn said...

G,

Thanks for the advice, admittedly I was puzzled by the anonymous message, both of them. I'll do what you say.

Thanks.

x

Dan Flynn said...

G,

As you can see I took your excellent advice. So, the genius that you are, you answered the question that puzzled Kung Fu Mama and I plus sorted out my spam problem. As an encore I expect nothing less from you than saving the world, well, Safaaya's world anyway.

xxxx

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Oh no. Now you asking for the impossible. I flee...

Mimi NY said...

Snowdon! Spelling! I bet your one of those english people who can't pronounce Llangollen!

Dan Flynn said...

Snowden?
They're fucking royals aren't they? Ooops.

xx

Anonymous said...

Hey Dan

Man, I finally mek it to your side of the blog world. The boys sleeping and hubby working and is just meeee and the poootah and the reality show-survivor-

Nice blog you have going..I have friend who lives in Merseyside...Wirral..yeah...afer your description, I know we have to visit England again...

see you on de odda side

Dan Flynn said...

Kung fu mama,

The West Coast of the UK from Lands End to the Northern Scotland is breathtaking, stunningly fantastic , beautiful. Since the last ice age its been battered by the Westerlies that drive the Irish Sea against its shores and so has developed a haggard, weathered look. Our proximity to Europe means most people live in an area that stretches from Birmingham and the east midlands down through London and into Kent so even though the UK is a small island in world terms, though 60 million live here, the west side is relatively uninhabited. So there's lots of room to see. I love living here.

xx