Saturday, December 31, 2005

It is New Year's

Eve. 2005 started off for me so well and really improved as the year wore on. However in November disaster struck, someone malicious said something about me which is untrue and my life has been plunged into a nightmare as a result. I'm hoping that in the next few weeks truth will prevail and the lies that have been told will be exposed for what they are.

It is at times such as these that friends really prove their worth and I'm lucky to have so many who have stood by me.

As ever I can also turn to the written word for solace. So here's a little more from Under Milk Wood. The wonder of this long poem is that every bit works and any piece from it can stand as an example of how joyous words can be.

At random then...

First Voice.

And in Willy Nilly the Postman's dark and sizzling
damp tea-coated misty pygmy kitchen where the
spittingcat kettles throb and hop on the range, Mrs
Willy Nilly steams open Mr Mog Edwards' letter to
Miss Myfanwy Price and reads it aloud to Willy
Nilly by the squint of the Spring Sun through the one
sealed window running with tears, while the drugged,
bedraggled hens at the back door whimper and snivel
for the lickerish bog-black tea.


Under Milk Wood is best read aloud if you want to experience the heady mix of words and sounds. The BBC have a brilliant production with Richard Burton narrating and if there is such a thing as literary heaven on this earth then it is to be found here. This poem cheers me up, it restores my faith.

7 comments:

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Hi Dan, that was a delicious bit from Under...

Yesterday I was wondering if your problem was sorted out. I thought it would be by now.

I hope 2006 is a fabulous year for you.

DCveR said...

Hope things clear out soon and that 2006 turns out to be a great year for you.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Put that wild vibrating toothbrush to good use, Dan, scrub the lies out from that miserable person.

Dan Flynn said...

G,

I'm hoping to do just that in this bright new year of 2006.
x

Hayden said...

Hope you roar back in 2006, Dan.

I'd forgotten how delicious "under milk wood" is... thanks for reminding me.

Dan Flynn said...

Hayden, G and D, I think my terrible problem may about to resolve itself. I received some good news this evening that I'm hoping to have confirmed tomorrow.

Hayden,

Thanks for the sentiments and a good 2006 to you too.

x

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

I feel like celebrating already for you, Dan. But I'll wait...

It was those darn choclate eclairs, Dan, I'm telling you.