Sunday, May 18, 2008

My bedroom is being...



re-plastered because the house is so old that when I steamed off the wallpaper the wall came with it. My house was built in 1900 and is an end terrace of what in the UK is called a two up/two down. This refers to the numbers of rooms.

The photo on the left is of a house in Limassol, Cyprus. By the plasterwork alone I suspect this house was not built in 1900.

For some time now I've been hounded by a guard dog that insists on barking all night. This dog barks whenever anyone passes the gate behind which it lurks. I'm not normally prone to violence or even thoughts of violence but as summer approaches my desire for the death of that dog hardens. I have dog rage and not being the owner of a gun I'm reduced to complaining to the Council. Not very pioneering I know, after all a hundred years ago when my house was being built honour might have required me to fight the dog, or fight the dog owner or even fight them both. I don't know, but these days life in Manchester is more sedate and instead of pugilism I've been given a form to complete. I think this is a better solution than the street fighting one especially as I don't look good in a flat cap with blood all down my front.

2 comments:

K. Restoule said...

I remember this dog that was named Brutus, who could be vicious, and his owner would let the stupid thing run free. One day, it came after me (again) and I smacked it with a 2X4. It's interesting how dogs will be quiet after being hit with a piece of lumber.

I'm not condoning violence against animals, but it was the dog or me, and I was 12 at the time.

Dan Flynn said...

K,

I think that violence against animals is perfectly justified if they are dogs that bark for no good reason and thereby inflict harm to the public good. If the dog opposite me was not behind two large gates I would take up your 2x4 solution with gusto. As it is, I'm reliant on the good offices of our local council who are not noted for the speed of their actions. Oh to be in the US where I might get away with gunning the fucker down.