Sunday, September 14, 2008

Eddie our local roofer...

says the batten boards on my gable end are rotted and need replacing. He points up and I crane my head to follow his finger. We'll need to hire scaffolding. Eddie knows a scaffolding man, best in the business, born on a scaffold, to a scaffolding family. Eddie's man is to scaffolding what Richard Rogers is to architecture. Scaffolding Joe is not only an artisan he's an artist. Scaffolding Joe can raise a 50 by 30 metre bracing structure in three hours tops using no tools other than his teeth. And a fine set of pearly whites they are too, or so I'm led to believe. The man's an artist, repeats Eddie, he should be in a gallery. Okay, says I, hire the man, he sounds just what we need.

"Of course there'll be the usual formalities". Says Eddie.
"Formalities?". Says I.
"Formalities". Says he.
"What formalities might those be?"
"Formalities required by the Worshipful Company of Scaffolders (Manchester Branch stroke North West Region). They'll need a sacrifice, a modicum of gin and you'll have to wear a hat during the ceremony."
"Jeeze, Eddie" says I, "It's only a few bloody poles held together with bolts. You make it sound like a religion. Sacrifice indeed."
"Do you want the job done or not?"
"Okay, but I get to choose my own hat."
"I'll arrange it for Thursday".

3 comments:

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Gin at the top of the scaffolding!

You're back and life is as odd as ever here.

Yay!

Oh...as for that black hole in the previous post, why don't they flood it and fill it? What with all this global warming water with nowhere to go...

Dan Flynn said...

G,

I am back, and thanks for missing me. Re the Large Hadron Collider, I think your idea is a good one and so shall shall write to Cern this very evening with the suggestion that black holes can be utilised as dumps for general waste, excess water, excess carbon and any other things we might have in excess. Wonder why no one has thought of this before! You must be a genius.

x

Sonica said...

Interesting blog. It would be great if you can provide more details about it. Thanks you.

Hire Scaffolding