Monday, October 29, 2012

Archer fish...

spitting mystery solved, says BBC. Well, and here's me thinking they were just plain rude. In the UK spitting is sometimes called "hocking a loogie". Scientists have discovered that Archer fish don't hock loogies as previously thought but instead push water through their gills and mouth into a jet so powerful it could have your eye out. In piscine terms Archers are not happy fish and say a reputation for spitting has never really opened doors.  Federico Archerfish, pictured, told the BBC, "We're not happy. Spitting has never really opened doors. We're hoping that this scientific breakthrough will do for us what a previous study did for piranhas. Those guys eh? So, it's goodbye spitting and hello gobbing. That noise, Alfonse? Why it's the sound of doors opening. Yee Haw! Sssssspppprritttt...!"

2 comments:

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

I'd like this fish as a pet. I'd drive around with it, make it spit at rude motorists.

I'm not sure what I'd do if a policeman stops me though.

Dan Flynn said...

I think I'm just attracted to things that spit! I understand that anglers have to wear goggles when fishing for the archer fish. Something about being careful in case they have your eye out.