Wednesday, February 23, 2005

I've recently handed in my notice at

work. I've been pissed off for some time now and two weeks ago like everyone else I received a memo telling me I was required to attend a course on how to ANSWER THE FUCKING PHONE!!!!!!!!!!!! This was to be a two day modular course on Customer Care. As a social worker by trade I'm fairly skilled at communicating with people (there's never been any complaints) but management said I must learn how to answer the phone properly. They mean within four rings, incidentally it was six rings only a few years ago so clearly a speedup is afoot here. It also pissed me off that they attempted to give this rank stupidity an academic veneer by dividing it into four 'modules' over two days. TWO DAYS!!! FOUR MODULES!!! I didn't go, I resigned. Colleagues who did attend and then challenged this nonsense were accused of being disloyal to the Council. DISLOYAL! The fuckwits who dream up this stuff wouldn't know loyalty if it jumped down off a shelf and kicked their knackers in.

So I've had enough. I am off.

Got into work on Tuesday of this week to be given a leaflet to householders from said Council stating that children were now forbidden to play football (actually all games) in the street and to do so would be to committ a criminal act. I am serious.

New Labour has criminalised children's play. They justify this by labelling street play as anti-social behaviour. I kid you not.

Having been shown this leaflet I stomped around the office swearing and shouting and then regretted resigning two weeks previously because in the doing I missed the opportunity to FUCKING RESIGN ON TUESDAY.

So outrageous is New Labour's anti-child agenda that I'm going to be bleeding exhausted come my final day. They'll have to winch my wasted flesh from our first floor office to the street below whence no doubt I'll be carried off by a horde of passing urchins trying to escape police attention.

No comments: