Sunday, October 19, 2008

Grey squirrells...

make the UK news again. Today's Observer Magazine carries a long piece about the menacing Grey squirrel, currently being shot in huge numbers. I have mentioned previously my soft spot for our squirrel cousin from the States and that I believe them to be a maligned species. For instance, the unfounded rumour that they steal slumbering children from warm beds nightly has done much harm to these tufty compadres. Whereas the equally unfounded belief that on a daily basis red squirrels perform charitable acts for the needy and attend Mass enhances their reputation.

That the facts are much plainer is demonstrated in these two statements recently given to the press. Guess which made it into print.

Exhibit A:

"We love life and if it weren't for bullies could help more people. Would you like some cake? I've baked too much for the church fete. Oh and there was extra jam for the little orphans until someone foreign stole it all away. My my".

Exhibit B:

"Janice, hide the kids that fucker with a gun's in the woods again".

I rest my case.

3 comments:

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Oooh yay, Dan, these last posts have given me great giggles. When I think straight I'll be back...

Them there grey squirrels taking over the UK can be eaten, can't they? Feed 'em to the cats!

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

...when i can think straight, i mean...

Dan Flynn said...

G,

unfortunately there's no trees near where I live so Harry High Hat, Big Trev and they other alley cats never get to see a squirrel but I'm sure if they did they'd eat it. After all, they eat everything else.