Monday, May 09, 2005

Was driving...

over the Mancunian Way this morning. It's an elevated motorway that cups the city centre's southern edge. The number of cranes is astonishing, changing the skyline, transforming Manchester. Returning from an appointment I later crossed Barton Bridge, a high viaduct that lifts the outer ring road over Manchester's ship canal. I was looking east, admiring the tall city blocks and hills beyond when from far below a heron flew up and over the traffic. The big bird heaved itself into a glide and I could see the air ruffle feathers along its side and underneath. There and gone in a moment, yet what a moment!

3 comments:

Mimi NY said...

Nice image.

Dan Flynn said...

Yeah I thought so too. Manchester is like a ball in a cup with the Pennines covering an 180 degree arc around to the city. Looking from Alderley Edge in the south you can see the flat vale upon which the city sits and then westerly toward Liverpool and the Irish Sea. Pretty stunning really. If you're ever in this neck of the woods drop in. Think I'd like to see NY tho, for its majesty as much as anything else.

xx

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

I've only been to parts of England in '82, don't remember much...dunno if I even passed through Manchester. For some reason I think of football and factories.

Now you make it sound so peaceful. Like a baby heaving one big sigh of contentment.