Wednesday, October 26, 2005

All the students...

are returning to college. I was in Bangor, North Wales over the weekend and a tad under the influence. As I walked Bangor's mean streets with my mate a little worse for the wear I was struck by the number of adults with teenage offspring in tow. At first I thought it odd so many teenagers out with their mum and dad until it dawned that last week was freshers week at the university. Awww. Anxious parents trailing their offspring wondering where the previous eighteen years has gone, worrying about Tarquin or Jemima but more likely Baz and Mopsy after all this is Bangor. Many of the parents looked grey due no doubt to an overactive imagination seared with images of drug fueled orgies all night clubbing and vomit. You can tell the newies because, a) their clothes are clean; b) they look anxious; c) they laugh inappropriately, like in shops and stuff; d) their clothes are clean. My view is that freshers always look like freshers until they're not, such as when they return a battle scarred second years. Experience is a grubby business which is why the innocent are always clean and this rule applies especially to students. Despite this I still find something positive about freshers, maybe they remind me of the Spring and renewal I really don't know. Maybe I like the fact that they're about to embark on a FUCKING TOP TIME that will last three whole years. Am I jealous? Nah, been there done that moved on. Nevertheless it was good. Bless em.

I may return to student shennanigans in a later blog.

4 comments:

DCveR said...

Freshers... now, there is a word that really brings back memories.
You are soooooo right! The look on their faces spells F R E S H E R, until the moment their freshers have their own freshers usually.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

I hated my studies in Jamaica. I thought I was going off to freedom and fun. It was lonely and BORING.

I had more fun at the University of Guyana. If it was possible, I would've stayed here.

Dan Flynn said...

D,

And they are soooo clean and fresh. It's lovely to see, all that innocence, mind you by next summer it will all have been burnt away. By then they'll be casually missing lectures, spendng less time in the library, more time in bars, drug dens, having SEX. Ahh, happy days.

G,

Sorry you were lonely and bored. How come you didn't stay in Guyana? Was Jamaica a better option, did it sound more exciting? Nevertheless it's a shame it didn't work out very well. I hope you got your degree.

x

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Yes, I got my degree in Jamaica.

I couldn't finish in Guyana because there was this military service thing that all students had to do if they wanted to graduate from the University of Guyana. Sometimes, students were made to clean drains and work on the coconut estate of the President of Guyana.

So rather than do that, I went to Jamaica.

I wasn't bored so much as I was lonely. Jamaicans tend to take a while before they warm up to you.