Monday, July 24, 2006

I mentioned a couple of blogs ago...



that I had goldfish in my yard pond. Well, not anymore. They are kaput. I think they pooed themselves to death. I got some plants instead, much less maintenance required and they don't give you any lip.

I read a book that said fish poo was the enemy of your pond fish and it recommended filtration as a means of keeping the pond, well, shit free. These filtration systems were not only expensive but also huge. A system to serve my tiny pond came with its own barn and outhouses and drew so much power it required a small nuclear boiler (not included) to keep the uv strips aglo. To assist the water's ambient temparature and establish green credentials coolant discharged directly into the pond. Superficially a clever idea until the next generation of fish arrive. Two streets from where I live someone bought a similar system that leaked and literally within a couple of Koi generations (Naples Koi that is) most of the fish were practicing law. Shortly afterwards the owners were evicted and driven into bankrupcy, it was blunt brutal and to the point. Harry High Hat, the top cat in my alley told this to me over a glass of laudanum one evening so it must be true. Ergo, because I like my house no filtration was purchased. Tough on the fish but hey, it was either them or me.

(photo courtesy of my mobile phone)

7 comments:

DCveR said...

Now I see why you didn't go for the piranhas... you can hardly throw someone inside that pond. Well? Get yourself a shovel and dig a bigger pond, get the nuclear plant to feed the filtration system and go for the piranhas, I bet they won't go to law school and try to evict you if you manage to feed them with say at least a traffic warden a week...

Anonymous said...

I babysat a freaky little child once. He spear killed all my fish with a pencil. Then he laughed.

Dan Flynn said...

D,

I've thought about piranhas as a way of keeping the alley cats away, sort of means by which their numbers can be kept low but as you can see my pond can only fit one. And who in their right mind would want to own a foul tempered and lonely piranha? So I've gone for plants instead. Less maintainence alround.

Buffy,

Maybe you should have speared him with a pencil, and maybe through an ear. See how much laughing he would do then!

Hayden said...

Drinking binges with High Hat Harry? Next you'll be admiring a kitten. Oh sure, drinking with them is different than living with them, but I'm telling you, it's a slippery slope, allergies or no -

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Exactly, I toooold you to get piranhas. They don't need water, they eat dirt too haha

Hey, Dan, good news, Mimi got a publisher!!

Hayden said...

(she peeks in to see if the promise has been fulfilled... no, not yet...)

Dan Flynn said...

G,

Piranhas, schmiranhas. I've given up on fish. Too messy.

I e-mailed Mimi my congrats. Really chuffed for her.

Hayden,

It's coming, honest...