Sunday, October 10, 2010

I've returned from...

two weeks in Tokyo and Beijing.  Both cities I thought astonishing. Tokyo is awash with sky scrapers whereas Beijing is simply huge, a great city bounded by westerly mountains and endless plains to the east and south. I was in awe of the two capitals  and though each were welcoming, the Chinese being the most open and friendly, I felt dwarfed by Tokyo heights and the grand open spaces that characterised central Beijing. Coming from a small Island crammed with 60 million people there's little sense of big space in the British psyche. Maybe it's experienced in sparsely populated Scotland, upper northern England or the flat-lands of Norfolk but as a citizen of comfortable old Manchester I found big space a tad intimidating. Nicely intimidating because Tokyo and Beijing, so different in culture, history, layout and architecture are cities first and foremost and being a city boy I fitted in very well. Tokyo was the more modern with a centre so clean one could eat dinner off it whereas Beijing was more fun, more frayed and less exact. Tokyo felt like a bright new ipod packed to the gunnals with sharp technology whilst Beijing was the clever old uncle slightly scuffed but smart as a whip. I fell in love with both towns, dear reader, I really did. Sigh.

7 comments:

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

This is quite strange, Danny boy, just this morning I was saying to my mother that I'd love to visit Japan one day.

I looove open spaces, I want bigger, wider, more open space, I need it.

I've seen photos of my neighbour's visit to Beijing...that city was wonderful, she said.

Please tell me you won't quit blogging again, Danny Boy!

Dan Flynn said...

G,

So good of you to drop by, especially after I've ignored the blogosphere for quite some time.

Lately I've found myself pondering about the old blog so I started digging around my life's attic. Baggage had to be shifted, traumas disturbed, happy memories moved to one side when suddenly there it was in the corner, my blog, under a stack of unfashionable LP's. I peeped beneath the dust sheet I'd thrown over the old thing, felt a warm glow and decided to bring it downstairs for a good airing. And lo, I'd barely given the keys a swift polish when a lovely message arrives from you. What more encouragement can blogger ask for?

With the long and gloomy winter months ahead I've decided cheer myself up by being creative and so re-start the blog.

xx

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

That's what you said the last time then you vanished, poof, like some thing from Aladin's lamp, appearing for one brief moment to do something wonderful then, foof, gone.

You're one of the best-est bloggers around, you really really REALLY shouldn't stop, Dan.

Dan Flynn said...

Ah G,

You say the sweetest things and I appreciate the encouragement, however I've no intention of vanishing this time as I've made a serious decision to once again start blogging. And I intend to be more disciplined about the whole affair and therefore a more regular blogger.

xx

Hayden said...

Serious? Blogging? Disciplined? You?

(shakes head in confusion, trying to reconcile these concepts shoved, willy-nilly, into a single sentence by one of the most whimsical, elusive bloggers on the home planet.)

(settles in to see what happens next...)

Dan Flynn said...

Hayden,

I know, I know but I'm returning, I really am. You just wait and see. I've just attempted to read your blog but was seen off by a strange man with a pack of savage dogs who said it was invite only. Not sure if you are in email contact with G but she has my email address, in fact you may have my email address somewhere. If so, can you forward me today's secret word. I hope this is not going to be one of those Mason things, you know, trouser leg at half mast, small pinafore with tassels (tassles?)and paring knife. If it's a blood sacrifice then I'll do it, but only because it's you.



x

Hayden said...

oh, I like the sound of blood sacrifice MUCH more than I do a simple password.

meanwhile, yes, I do have your email somewhere, will ferret it out (humm, ferret... sounds like a Dan story) and send you an invite.

silly indiscretions from my past are chasing me even now... what a bore!