Tuesday, March 29, 2005

The B of the bang...

is an enormous steel sculpture in East Manchester. It takes the form of huge metal spikes hundreds of feet high arranged like the explosion of a firework rocket. It is impressive. If I knew how to put photo's into this blog one would be posted here...............



............ But I don't, so it's not.

Anyone interested can go to Manchester City's website (the town not the football club, even though incidentally the sculpture is situated next to Man City's ground) and see a picture of said art...

Having left my job in Stockport and moved to work in Manchester I now drive each day past 'The B of the Bang'. Great sculpture but totally naff name. Unlike my favourite piece of public art 'The Angel of the North' located at the south end of Team Valley on the outskirts of Gateshead which is the southern half of God's own town, Newcastle on Tyne. The 'Angel of the North' is a magnificent structure, not sure of the dimensions but it's probably 200 feet tall and the wingspan approx 200 feet from end to end. Towering over the eastern shoulder of Team Valley just where the motorway plunges down to the valley floor before curving into Newcastle, the 'Angel of the North' faces south toward the cathedral city of Durham. A stunning location for a stunning sculpture.

I am a refugee from the north and have learned to love Manchester. However the 'B of the Bang' should be dignified with a better name. It could have been called simply Top Art, because that is what it is. And democratic art because everyone has an opinion about it. Fantastic design, and in public too.

Speaking of design, which is what I really want to talk about, I'm vexed by my inability to post photo's or even develop a pleasing background for this blog. My mate Clare, aka Boob Pencil has a wonderfully laid out blog, lovely colours (well blue mainly) and full of neat boxes, sort of tidy. Plus she has the skill to insert links into her prose.

As I stand in the shadow of great art then so I also stand in the shadow of a well crafted blog.

What is a boy to do?

No comments: