Friday, January 20, 2006

The Catholic Church...

has let it be known it agrees with the theory of Evolution and not with the lie that calls itself Intelligent Design. According to press releases this week they've rejected Intelligent Design (that God made everything, no questions asked) and embraced Darwin. A superficial reading of Benny the Umpeenth's position might lead us to conclude the Catholic Church has rejected God and allied itself with, er, science. Now that would be revolutionary however on closer reading they've simply rejected Intelligent Design as a means of understanding God's will. What they say is that God did make everything but didn't make it that obvious and that those who argue Intelligent Design are just crude reductionists. So what appears as a fairly enlightened position is at heart that same old same old. Mind you, if they're prepared to argue with the nutters who currently run the White House that Evolution is a science who am I to object?

I do wonder though if this argument might not have caused God to pause and look over his newspaper to see what the fuss was about. And from the Messianic sofa might not an eyebrow have been raised at Benny arguing that rationality rather than faith was the most fruitful means by which nature can be known? And for a moment, until reassured by the small print might not the sacred hand of Jehovah have stroked the blessed designer stubble, scratched the immortal ear, drew in a deific breath and exhaled a celestial sigh before relaxing once more behind the racing pages? We'll never know, and therein lies the rub, nothing useful can be learned through faith, with science we can learn everything, even the truth that God doesn't exist. Oh to be in heaven when that news came through!

Lowly type runs in and says "God, God, just in, science has finally proved you don't exist."
God snatches paper, "Let me see that! Shi...."

11 comments:

DCveR said...

You just made him exist again. Simply by denying He exists you are assuming the concept exists, given the concept and the abstract quality of the said existence, denying God or proving God doesn't exist brings God into existence, but as Douglas Adams theorized if God one day decides to prove his existence He will cease to exist, for His existence relies on faith and not proof. Talking about proof, some 40 proof single malt would go just fine right now. Care for some Oban?

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

What made you anti-Catholic, Dan?

Dan Flynn said...

I love the Island Malts. Never come across Oban tho, is it good? Last weekend by coincidence was drinking a mate's Laphroaig and got plastered on it smoky peatiness. One consequence was that all the following day I stank of wood smoke. I bet God doesn't stink after a night Malt Whisky, miserable get.

Dan Flynn said...

G,

I was raised a Catholic at the time when it was believed that if you spared the rod you spoiled the child. I was also taught that I had the stain of the original sin on my soul and therefore would never be worthy, indeed had to be punished because it was my fault, oh and I was to blame for the death of Jesus as well. As a result I was beaten soundly on a number of ocassions by the priests, nuns and teachers in the various schools I attended, They beat up the other children as well.

They also made me feel guilty for the death of Jesus on the cross even tho I knew I was nowhere near the place when it happened. Plus I had absolutely nothing to do with Adam and Eve and their fall from grace but the catholic church taught me that I did and regularly punished me for it. Even as a small child I thought this was an injustice, even as a small child I hated the hypocrisy of it. I saw some very violent things done to children in the name of God and education and the sense of injustice has remained with me.

The God of my childhood was not forgiving or loving, he was a tyrant who seemed to hate us, he was a God to be feared and I feared him.

So I came into adulthood with a hatred of hypocrisy and healthy contempt for organised religion.

I'm from a strongly Catholic family and they all know my views. My mum who is a devout Catholic says that what's important to her is not that I'm a lapsed Catholic but that all six children are decent, kind and honourable people. We have been brought up well and we make her proud, even me with my rather strong views on most things.

DCveR said...

I must confess it is not my favorite, but living in Portugal I can't be too picky. I still have a bottle of Bunnahabhain, a Macallan, one treasured Dallas Dhu and a few other poisons, but I never know when will I get the chance to buy another good one.

Dan Flynn said...

D,

You o'l whisky fan you. What's the tipple in Portugal? Do they have a distilled drink, a grappa or something?

DCveR said...

This is a wine country, and as in all wine countries there are distilled drinks made out of wine or wine by-products mostly, or as you put it grappas of some sort, here called "aguardentes". But this is also a catholic country with lots of old convents and monasteries. This assumes particular importance because it seems the only pleasures they were supposed to indulge in were eating and drinking, thus a great tradition of sweets and desserts and also some tradition of liqueurs made out of the said grappas and whatever was handy, from fruits to herbs.

Annie said...

This is a fairly major concession Dan, though they seem to be hedging their bets. You never know, maybe the new Pope will change the policy on condoms and we might see an impact on HIV and AIDS around the world... (I wouldn't hold my breath though.)

Dan Flynn said...

Annie,

Fat chance of the church altering its position on contraception and HIV, besides the quicker people die the quicker they get to heaven, except of course those who are going to the other place. In fact dying is a Christian duty, pssht, dontcha know anything?

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Dan, that is sad. It really was painful to read. I know an old lady who is against nuns and priests too for the same reason but I thought she was exaggerating.

You see, though I'm not Catholic, I went to a Catholic school and the nuns were some of the kindest, sweetest. The priest who did the Wed. sermon for the Catholic girls was young, good looking [hehe] and everyone went to listen to him.

Here in Guyana we've had good experiences with Catholics.

Dan Flynn said...

G,

I'm aware the Catholic Church is full of good and decent people, my mam for instance and the nuns who taught you. Well good! However as an institution I'm not impressed at all and hate it for its hypocrisy. I also hate it for the violence it did to me and other children when I was a child. The bastard church brought fear to my childhood and I can't forgive it for that.