Sunday, January 22, 2006

I gather that some priest...

in Galway has become a father at the ripe old age of 73. I also read that he was immensly popular, well clearly, though I suspect he's now lost that crown. Given his advanced age he presumably completed his priestly training in the 1950's or thereabouts, a time when the Catholic Church was serious about hell and damnation, and birching, and torture, and beating children, and guilt, and sin, and punishment, and blood, and scourging. I could go on, no I really could but better not, don't want to get too excited, then I'll miss my nap.

I seem to recall that the church is opposed to contraception so we know at least one area of his life where he wasn't a hypocrite.

Which brings me back to scourging, well Ruth Kelly, and Opus Dei. I can't look at her without wondering the whereabouts on her person of the scilla, that spiky band thing whose purpose is to dig into the flesh and cause discomfort and pain. I'm not sure having someone who is so clearly into bondage is a wise choice as Education Secretary, not that I'm opposed to bondage, or think that those who are into bondage should be barred from public life, oh no. What I am opposed to as Education Secretary is some extremely right wing tosser who wears bondage as atonement for the rest of us not being into bondage. She's sacrificing herself for us, purging herself because we are all really so very very naughty, it was our fundamental naughtiness that got us kicked out of Eden in the first place, then later, just to put some icing on that cake we killed Jesus as well. What an absolute bunch of bastards, spelled out like this I begin to suspect she probably wears two.

4 comments:

DCveR said...

If there is one group of people I really can't stand within the Roman Catholic Apostolic Church is the Opus Dei creeps. Their supremacy attitude goes against all that the said church is supposed to stand for.
I’ve got this feeling that if Jesus were to choose between expelling the merchants from the temple and bashing some of these creeps heads there would still be lambs and doves on sale in the temples stairs…

Dan Flynn said...

They are a creepy lot, make no mistake, also read somewhere that there's a fair dose of anti semitism amongst their bretheren which is not surprising given how right wing they are. I thoroughly enjoyed Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code and the abandon with which he stuck the boot into catholicism and Opus Dei in particular.

Annie said...

Plus she has terrible hair. (I know this has no bearing on her job, but it really is a disgrace.)

Dan Flynn said...

And of course the advantage of always wearing trousers is that they provide perfect cover for Opus Dei's little flesh treats... Bondage for pleasure seems to me okay, not my scene but it's about pleasure and so can't be too bad. However, purging the flesh through guilt, scourging yourself because you feel to blame for something, hmmm, that is not healthy at all. And bloody hell, she's the Secretary of State over all school age children in the UK!