Sunday, November 26, 2006

Me and my mate Sean...


in Barcelona, that's me taking the photo.

I have not superlatives enough (though here's a few) to describe Barcelona. Top city, fantastic food, wonderful folk, stunning architecture, good beer, incredible vistas, world class art and a history of fighting the good fight, of fighting the fascists. Whaddatown!

Bugger Frisco, I left my heart in Barcelona.

Oh yeah, and another thing. I'm gonna crack Flickr cos this old blog of mine just don't do justice to a good photey.

Mind you, as is evidenced, I've solved my earlier photos posting problem. Might have something to do with buying an edition of Photoshop 5.

And whilst I'm going on about Spain and fascism, this afternoon I went to see Guillermo Del Toro's film Pan's Labyrinth which is set in the 1930's after the victory of Franco's fascists. The story is of a young girl whose mother weds a fascist officer stationed in the mountains to fight communist and leftist revolutionaries. Whilst in this unhappy place she is drawn to a fairy underworld where dangerous tasks are set for her by a fawn. The story switches therefore between the menace of the real world and the menace of this underworld. A great movie.

Once again to paraphrase Homer, "Hmmmm Spain..."

10 comments:

Annie said...

I know where you are in the picture! Um, I think... was it Maremagnum? I dig that mirrored roof.

Can't wait to see Pan's Labyrinth, glad to hear you recommend it.

to touch a unicorn said...

Hey Welcome Back! Hope you had a great time don't forget to give us the flicker link :)
Pan's Labyrinth sounds good.

Sandy

Dan Flynn said...

Annie,

You old Spanish sort you. It was the Maremagnum and it does have a mirrored main entrance roof. Go and see Pan's Labyrinth, hopefully it will be picked up by the mainstream cinemas because is deserves to be.

Sandy,

Yes I am returned, phew, especially after it was such a bugger to get there. However, the trip was worth it. Barcelona is one of the few cities I've visited and wished a quick return. Paris was the other one...

x

Anonymous said...

Good to hear you made it and had a good time. Loved it there too Dan, did you get to visit the Monastry?

Dan Flynn said...

Sandy,

fraid we missed the monastry. In fact we barely scratched the surface of Barcelona which is why I'm keen to return.

Hayden said...

Once again I did do a comment to you earlier on this post and it appears to have vanished. I wonder if this one will show?..... maybe I am in permanent ghost-mode.

Hayden said...

humm. ok, for the record, that tracked and I was in firefox. perhaps it is safari that isn't working here. too many puzzles in the universe....

welcome back, looking forward to pics, where is your flikr link, movie sounds good, thanks for the link, it opens here after Christmas. I'll have to give it a look.

that's the readers digest version of my original comment.

Dan Flynn said...

Hayden,

Now that I think of it I've posted a few comments to you that have not been posted but at the time I never mentioned it because I thought I'd pressed the wrong key. The flickr link is below the archives and slightly to the left. Can you see it? And as for the readers digest version of your original comment, any version of you abridged or otherwise is always welcome on these pages.

x

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Is this where all the Gaudi art is? I sit here and envy, sometimes. But thank goodness for blogging, I see and learn so much.

Dan Flynn said...

G,

Yeah, Gaudi strutted his stuff in Barcelona. The cathedral has to be seen to be believed. Some of the photos are of Gaudi's inspirational work, for instance the lamp posts, the cathedral columns, and the view over Barca from the hill show the cathedral on the right. I've lots of other photos but these are the best. Problem is that the Cathedral's been photographed so many times its difficult to get a new angle on it, so to speak.