Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Monday, Mancunian Way....

7.50am and stationary in westbound traffic. Eastbound is moving, cars, lorries, bikes. The bright red of a burning cigarette tumbles over the central reservation and lands beside an upright tyranosaurus rex who collects it, takes a drag and declares Mondays are alright by him. Granted the TR was only 10 inches tall and had most likely been abandoned by a child, or thrown from a car, or both. His fate nevertheless intrigues me so I wind the window open and shout,

"Hey you, T Rex!"
He was American and inquired, "Yeah?"
"Whatchadoin there?"
"Bub," He said, "It's a long story."
"Well?" I said.
And he replied, "I was owned by this kid with a permanent cold. Snot everywhere, alway snot and when not runny it was crusty..."

Ahead of me a lorry's engine rumbled as the driver began to creep forward. So I said,

"What?" And found second gear.

Little forearms pumped like pistons as the Rex began to run alongside, grasping his cigarette, gasping for breath.

"...snot," He said.

"Yeah snot snot, got that." I said and reached for third gear.

He upped his pace, little forearms now a blur, shanks pedalling with speed until he tripped under the wheels of a following refuse and was squashed flat.

Pulling away I thought 'Bugger, there's nothing worse than a tale half told.'

Then I cheered up because he was wrong about Mondays.

Mondays are shite.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol Funny tale, everything has a happy ending ~ even Mondays.

Thanks for finding your way, and yep, it's me. :-)
Btw your signature doesn't work either as you have no profile link.
You need to go public and list your blog. Don't know why mine doesn't work though. lol

Dan Flynn said...

Sandy not sure what 'going public' means. How does one list a blog? I'm mystified. When I look at my posts on other people's blogs the link seems to work.

Dan Flynn said...

Ah ha,

have I just done the link thing?

Anonymous said...

Hi Dan, Your link still doesn't work on my blog so here's how you list your blog and go public...

Go to *settings*
Scroll down to "Add your blogs to our listings?" put *yes* in box.
"Save settings" then go to View profile and see if your blog is listed at the bottom
or
maybe you haven't put your URL in correct?

email me at bi_froste@yahoo.co.uk if I can help at all. Still learning myself though :p

Anonymous said...

Mondays are not that bad...if you're allowed to laze and read the papers until 10 am. In the office. haha.

Dan Flynn said...

G,

Hmmm, that would be a good way to start Mondays but unfortunately it's not the way I have to start them at the moment. Come the new year I'm going to start a new job and work a four day week so I can have Mondays to write my novel. Then I'll begin to appreciate Mondays...

Anonymous said...

Then you'll start hating Tuesdays hee hee