Sunday, June 26, 2005

People are wonderful...

but sometimes a little odd, and I don't exclude myself from this. The front wall outside my house has been looking pretty shabby for a year or two now. Charities have started posting leaflets inviting me to apply for grants and other forms of assistance. I answered the door once to a local priest who from the front wall's condition assumed I was near death. I said I didn't believe in God and also thought Benedict the Umpteenth was a stop gap pope who wouldn't last the course. He left in a huff when I suggested the next pope might not even be Catholic, sort of as a shock result. You know how it is with those ancient Cardinal guys I shouted at his receding back, dark room, nappy time, and before you can say I've forgotten my name a young French nurse is Popina Angelique I. It's easily done. Not impressed with my perspective on pope futures he managed to push down a bit of my wall on the way out. I could be generous and say he stumbled, but the un Christian, "Rot in hell you Marxist Fuck" was a giveaway. However, this is a wall story so I'll move on.

Yesterday I bought a 1kg lump hammer, 1" chisel and set about said wall. Now many of you may know I'm a social worker by profession and therefore not used to holding manly tools of anykind. Nevertheless I managed the day with little injury though the RSI flared up. Not for me builder's lung, dislocated shoulders, or melanoma from all that sun, no siree, all I'm good for is a bit of tendonitis. Still I was proud to have suffered for that wall. Today I bought some cement, forgot the sand. In fact didn't know I needed sand until I the cement wouldn't mix. A passing priest, for it was he, muttered, "You forgot the sand, you half wit. Think you can change the world when you can't even change a wall!". I politely asked him if the 90 year old Benedict the Umpteenth had "MADE IT THROUGH THE FUCKING NIGHT?" but he affected not to hear. I fetched sand. 10 minutes later he passed again. "You forgot the bricks numbskull." Hmmm, I crept to the store and bought bricks. A crowd gathered, it's a hot Sunday, the football season's over, people are bored. The crowd got bigger, arguments were had about the proportions of sand to cement (6 to 1 as it happens), priests worked the aisles, everyone had an opinion. Hours later I'd laid my four bricks (the coping stones are for another Sunday) even used a spirit level. A passing hippy who looked like Jesus quietened the crowd with a tale about real spirits in the level, tiny trapped Sisyphus's pushing against each other in eternal competition.

"Hey look man," He said in that classic stoner voice. "You can even see them." He held the level to his eyes and lost touch with the rest of us. "Hey! Hey! Fuck man. there's a fucking crowd of them, and they're all fucking green. Hey and there's priests working the aisles man. Wow." I gently took back my level and the hippy blinked "Far out man, far out. I think there's more than two Sisyphuses in there man. Never seen that before, more than two. And fucking priests as well man. Fuck!" He gave two fingers of peace to the crowd and wandered away muttering "That level's fucked man, crowd like that, how's the bubble gonna move man?"

Ahhh.

7 comments:

Hayden said...

I will never see a level again without laughing. Great to start my day with a laugh, thank you!

Icylyrics said...

Yes, you are quite funny, I left a comment on your previous post about the defecating rude ass birds. I will have to add you to my favorites, if your this funny in person, you might consider a career in comedy. Maybe with a pet parrot or something, naw, maybe not.

Dan Flynn said...

Glad you both liked the blog, I think of it as a form of venting. Think I'd explode otherwise. This coming Saturday, along with hundreds of thousands of others I shall be in Edinburgh demonstrating against the G8. Ha ha, venting on a massive scale. Look out for me on the tv, I'll wave.

Hayden said...

I'll be watching! if, of course, I can remember to turn on the tv ....

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

I don't have a tee vee Dan!

And just to torment you a bit, I kinda like that priest that kept passing by telling you things hee hee...

Darn, must be this cold atichooo...

Are you against the G8 giving us a debt write off?

Dan Flynn said...

Gyal, re debt write off, I'm absolutely for it. Seems to to me the economic relationship between the advanced economies and the rest is like the old company stores of the 19th and early 20th Century where people can only shop at the store owned by the rich, er, owners! Even if they write off the debt (which they could and should) it would still only represent a fraction of what they pillage anyway. Me? I'm for a different economic system altogether, but I've bored you more than once with that one.

xx

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Our country ran into debt due to corruption of past govt.

And now who's picking up the tabs? Tax payers abroad?

I think all corrupt leaders should be made accountable, what did they do with the funds loaned?

And I think that the countries that were given the write off should have to account for how they're spending the money now too.