Monday, January 22, 2007

Hmmm...

snow last night, seizure of booty on beach today, hey it's just like old times. By old times I mean ages ago, or yore.

A ship has run aground on the Devon coast depositing containers packed with BMW bikes, nappies, wine and tons of other stuff. Not surprisingly the good folk of Devon have been on the beach helping themselves. Wey hey! Of course some Devonians a couple hundred years ago made a living wrecking ships, fortunately in no great numbers, but wages were shite in those days so one can perhaps understand wrecking ships to make ends meet. Your modern Devonian is much more sophisticated, as amply demonstrated on the BBC. Customs and Excise has moved on since those days too. Customs staff were out in numbers issuing forms for people to complete. Good advice, complete the form and your bounty is not theft but salvage. Of course salvage can be reclaimed by the true owners but apparently that's an expensive and lengthy business. I suspect the cargo owners will claim off the insurance and no doubt fiddle the manifest.

"No governor, there was the Gucci watches, all 10,000 of em. Oh yeah and big Geoff lost his levver jacket, well, when I say levver jacket I mean he's got more than one. Bish bosh just sign here, fank you verrrry much."

Oh to live in Devon on this bright winter morn. Sigh.

My mention of snow is also a reference to yore, when weather was rugged and winter always bitter. Wikipedia report the River Thames freezing over in 250AD, 923AD and 23 times between the fourteenth and nineteenth centuries. Ah, proper centuries with proper weather. Secretly I'm pleased not to have lived in yore, especially after learning of weevils in the biscuits. Couldn't be doing with weevils in me biscuits.

Snow, shipwrecks, salvage, and all on one day too, just like old times. Sigh.

Damn, where's that biscuit gone. It was there a second ago... why, it's moving, OHMIGOD they're all moving...noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

5 comments:

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Those Devon folks sure move fast, even your biscuits are going...or is the the weevil?

Did they swipe the bikes too? Or were they too big to fit into their bags?

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

*or is it the weevil* I meant, Dan.

Dan Flynn said...

Some people did take expensive bikes and good luck to them is what I say. It's not very often ordinary people get to legitimately steal stuff back.

re the biscuits, I've not seen them since Monday's post. I suspect their lurking behind the cooker. Waiting for the gin to come out again...

Hayden said...

sounds like a balanced food - biscuit with a bit of protein eating its way through. The longer you're at sea the higher the proportion of protein. Perfect system.

Dan Flynn said...

Hmm,

I'd not thought about that aspect of biscuitry, the longer at sea the more wholesome. Excellent. I'm sending off the patent as we speak cos I'm sure no one has staked the claim on that idea. Hayden, I'll cut you in for 10% as a finders fee...

I think it's 10%, or at least that's what was offered to William H Macy in Fargo by his ruthless father in law.