Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Sunset over...



Salford.

My dad (who sometime ago passed on to to that great offal stall in the sky) used to eat tripe. To the uninitiated tripe is sheep's stomach that can be eaten uncooked with vinegar or cooked with milk and onions. Tripe is flobbery to touch and tastes like, well, stomach. As a child I did not like tripe or pig's trotters. Pig's trotters were another delicacy enjoyed by dad.

Pig's trotters are boiled (he used a pressure cooker) and when cooked look what they are, containers of pig fat. On Saturday afternoons at the kitchen table he sucked chewed and licked this compacted fat from delicate pig foot bones. All grease would be gleaned, it was a matter of honour, almost cosa nostra, and in the deepening gloom dad smacked sticky satisfied lips, 'mmmming' until no morsel of goo remained.

I believe this dish to be still popular in some catholic countries.

4 comments:

Hayden said...

I've always had a great admiration for the ability of human cuisine to include some of the most detestable and indigestible tidbits. Just don't make me eat them.

Dan Flynn said...

Hayden,

I feel the same way. Think I was put off in childhood by dad's Saturday titbits.

Anonymous said...

Will pass too, thank you!

Ever walked around a chinese food market and seen all those crunchy chicken feet, dog's ears...?

And yet ~ think about eating winkles with a pin when we were kids. Grey/black small worm-like with a slight crunch after beingeeked out of their shell on pin point after knocking off that little black lid. hmmmmmm eh? lol

Dan Flynn said...

Sandy,

urgh, winkles. I'd forgotten about them. Dad liked them too but I always thought they looked and tasted like dirty snot.

Uurrggghhhhhh!!!!!