Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Of late my car has...

been plagued with thumping noises from under the bonnet so I took it to a garage. The aged mechanic said "Leave it with me and I'll phone once I've identified the problem."

"Fair enough." I said and walked the couple of streets to my office. He phoned later.

"I've identified the problem." He said.

"Oh yes?" I said.

"Yes." He said.

Then followed a silence until I said "And?"

He replied, "And what?"

"What have you discovered?"

"It's a car troll."

"A what?"

"A car troll."

"A car troll?" I repeated.

"A car troll."

So I said " What's a car troll?"

And he replied "A troll that lives in cars."

So I said "A troll that lives in cars?"

And he said "Yes."

So I said, "I didn't think trolls really existed."

And he said, "Well there's one in your car."

So I said, "What's it doing?"

And he said "I think its lurking."

"Lurking?" I said.

"Lurking." He replied.

"Is this a common problem? " I asked.

"I don't know." He said. "Is it a common problem?"

So I said, "How should I know?"

And he replied "Well, it's your car."

There then followed a silence.

So I said, "What is it doing?"

And he said, "What's what doing?"

"The troll."

"It's just sitting there, looking bedraggled on a little shelf just behind the engine."

So I say "Well tell it to fuck off."

"Fuck off?" He says.

"Fuck right off." I say.

Later the garage urchin accepted £60 in payment though being illiterate offered no receipt however before returning the keys he did press a greasy thumb to my cheek. I'd not driven far when loud thumping began from the engine compartment. Furious, I stopped the car jerked up the bonnet and made room as the aged mechanic climbed out.

Wiping his oily rag around his oily neck he said "Sorry about that."

We stood together for a moment until I said.

"The troll fucked off then?"

And he said "What troll?"

So I ran him over.

7 comments:

Hayden said...

*shaking with laughter*

now lets just look for a minute.

car trolls make more sense than most things mechanics say. The question is, can you cure them?

The car, not the troll. Heaven knows what it would take to cure a troll.

Dan Flynn said...

It was an unnerving experience to find a troll in my car. Apparently they're about he size of an Action Man but have beards and viking helmets, you know the ones, with horns. They're not liked in the mythical world tho on account of their reputation for freeloading. Cheeky sods.

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

It's the winter, y'see. Brings out the car trolls. They don't like the sunshine, but they can just about survive a briefly open bonnet in overcast weather. The thing to do is wait till the sun comes out then whip the bonnet open and bingo, troll turns to stone and can be easily removed and placed by any nearby garden pond. Well-known fact.

Annie said...

Pah, it was clearly a pack of lies about the troll. No such thing as car trolls. Everyone knows that machines are plagued by gremlins.

Dan Flynn said...

Z,

What a brilliant well known fact that I shall remember for future troll reference. I need something to keep the back door open in summer. Ha ha, the next troll's really gonna get it!

Annie,

No, it was definitely a troll and not a gremlim. Trolls you see have beards whereas gremlins are clean shaven. Or at least they are up here in't north.

Hayden said...

woof. such a lot of troll and gremlin knowlege. clear I need to mind the critters about me a bit more carefully.

i do know gnomes, does that count for anything?

Dan Flynn said...

Gnomes pah! Hippies who wouldn't know the inside of a car if it ran over them. Of course that's just my opinion.

x