Saturday, March 17, 2007

As part of my...

new get fit routine I went cycling this lunch time on the Fallowfield Loop and was promptly set upon by some let loose ponies, of which there were three. Interestingly, they seemed of a particularly small breed, each measuring only two foot tall, or in horse parlance half a wrist. Pursued by a band of boys running in a stylised manner the horses were making progress in their escape when they arrived at me.

The first horse said, "If you don't give us your bike you're DEAD!"
The second horse said, "Yeah, dead."
The third horse said, "Oh Brian you promised there'd be no rough stuff."
The first horse said, "You fool. You said my name. I told you not to say my name."
The second horse said, "Yeah, you said Brian's name and he told you not to."
The first horse cuffed the second horse and said, "You've done it now. I said no names. Is that clear?" And he turned to the third horse "John?" and then he turned to the second horse, "Harry? Right?"
The second horse said, "Er I'm not clear about somefing."
The third horse said, "Yes, I'm not clear about something either."
The first horse shrugged and said gruffly, "What's not clear?" He waited a moment, "Okay, you first Harry. Oh bugger, I'm doing it now." Then he turned to me and said, "Right lets start again. I don't know these two, nor do I know their names. In fact they are utter strangers to me and I never met them before today."
The second horse, who was still mulling over something said, "Why can't we say our names?"
The third horse said, "Yes Brian, it's not as if we're going to be remembered for our names. I suspect the horse thing will be the real giveaway."
Brian jumped as if he'd been stung, "Horses, where?"
The third horse said, "For God's sake..."
The second horse said to no one in particular, "I always liked Pauline as a name."

Setting off again on my bike I passed the stylised boys who had stopped for a preen and said, "You needn't hurry, I think they'll be there some time."

6 comments:

High Power Rocketry said...

: )

Annie said...

And what were they going to do with your bike anyway?

Dan Flynn said...

Annie,

A very good question that I was going to ask them if they'd stopped bickering long enough. Horses on bikes indeed.

Hayden said...

good illustrations, LOL!

so have you rigged your bike so your knee is unnecessary?

Dan Flynn said...

Hayden,

I am impatient with the knee and so think, to hell with it. I can't run but the biking seems to cause less discomfort than any other excercise, like rowing (I've got a groovy rowing machine). I think, bugger it, the knee problem is not going to kill me so I'll do it. Mind you if the knee thing had a fatality attachment I'd just stay at home and drink. But it hasn't so I'm not, staying in drinking that is. Well, I do stay in drinking but I also get out. Hmmm.

Hayden said...

maybe that earlier idea abt replacing the fluid with whiskey has a role here after all. Perhaps you could outfit your knee with a small flask and straw, so that you could get out drinking more.

or something.