Tuesday, March 13, 2007

This knee business...




is disconcerting because I've remembered last Thursday the man said, amongst other things, that they'd probably replace the fluid in my knee. With what? I forgot to ask. Looking for clues in google I found this. It's listed as a knee brace. I'm not being picky but even my untrained eye can see it'll never fit. And shouldn't there be two bolts? A top one and a bottom one, and some nuts? As a child who was beaten regularly by my catholic teachers, including the metal work teacher, I'm only too aware that on items jointy my knowledge is lacking but look at the size of that thing, it's bigger than my head. The complete absence of 'kneeness' in the object's form is also a concern and were I a Platonist the surgery would definitely be off. However, I'm a materialist and will not deny an object simply because its origins lie in a shipyard. Might drop the surgeon a line tho, suggest extra nuts, can never have too many nuts.

9 comments:

Annie said...

Yes, but can you imagine the problems you're going to have going through the metal detector at the airport now?

(Am also curious as to what they will replace the fluid with. Mineral water? Whisky? Orangina?)

K. Restoule said...

Yuck, the whole things sounds awful. My brother in law used to have some hardware like that in his leg. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya.

Dan Flynn said...

Annie,

I too am curious about fluids. A 18 year malt would be nice. Knee as hip flask, maybe with a tube that I can sip from.

K,

Hardware in my leg, hmm, that's what I'm worried about. What if they leave something behind, a spanner maybe, or even jemmy. God knows what they're capable of...

Anonymous said...

Hello Dan,
Sorry to hear about your poor ol' knee that's some heavy metal of an implant. Maybe you should ask for something to help you carry the weight, like rollerskates maybe! lol

Whatever they do hope you get topped up with the best and you're soon back to normal.

Tried to comment twice so hope this one works. :-)

Hayden said...

so right. can never have too many nuts, as is fully proved by a brief jaunt through the internet.

humm. was it wrong to mention "jaunt?"

when is this startling event scheduled for?

Anonymous said...

Hey, have you seen you're in the Shaggy Blog Stories book? Congrats!

www.ShaggyBlogStories.co.uk

Dan Flynn said...

Sandy,

Hmm, not yet sure what they're really gonna do with the knee. Physio said that there's probably a slight tear in the cartilage and therefore they'll shave off the edge. Afraid I stopped listening at this point. Put fingers in ears and went woooo ooooo oooo really loud. Sigh.

Hayden,

got to have the MRI scan first so not sure when event is you can bet your bottom dollar I'll keep you all informed.

Clare,

Thanks for the prompt. I forgot I'd sent it off. Did it last week after prompt from Zinnia.

xxx

Anonymous said...

I agree by the way, that thing belongs in no knee. Almost as bad as the stuff they put in my ankle.

You are getting funnier and funnier, you know.

TheBuGz said...

I was passing by and your site caught my eye :O)
Nice blog !
Here is mine.
Dr Knee keep you knee fit and healthy
Do visit it to keep your knees Healthy
Dr Knee