Sunday, March 04, 2007

I can't resist it...


but here's a few more daffs accompanied this time by the most famous poem about daffodils there is in the English language.

And as an extra treat here's some photos of last year's blooms.

"Daffodils" (1804)

I WANDER'D lonely as a cloud

That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine

And twinkle on the Milky Way,
They stretch'd in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they

Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,
In such a jocund company:
I gazed -- and gazed -- but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie

In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

I'll post one more photo of crocuses later in the week then that will be that for this Spring. Or will it?

6 comments:

Hayden said...

why make promises? indulge yourself! We've all seen millions of flowers, and still we eagerly turn the pages of gardening magazines and ooo and ahhhh!

Dan Flynn said...

Hayden,

Excellent point. I shall take more daff photos afore they go, and crocuses too. Any sign of spring in the Sunshine State?

xx

Hayden said...

my daffs started in January, when it was still difficult to even imagine spring.

a 'true' sign of spring for us is ceoanthus, which is bursting into bloom right now. It comes at the same time that one feels that spring is (hopefully) arriving - it needs a few warm, sunny days.

I posted a pic this weekend, but it doesn't show well. Tried again and if anything came out will post later.

Hayden said...

my star magnolia is too early, too - it's over already, and the plum is nearly done. And there are a few confused roses....

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

It's true what Hayden says, we turn the magasine pages and ooh, aah over the flowers. Children are fascinated by flowers, I think babies too.

Dan Flynn said...

Hayden,

In the UK Magnolias are due in a month or so. I'd love a garden where I could plant magnolia. I love the scent which is a deeply sensual sweet musk. Stunning!

G,

I think adults are fascinated by flowers too. But as you know, for me nothing beats spring flowers and the return of colour.

x