Tuesday, October 24, 2006

I returned to work...

with a song in my heart. Of course the innards are not quite right but that's innards for you. In my experience innards can be tricky so it's best to take care of them. Take care of your innards and they'll take care of you I'm sure someone once said. Amen to that.

In Catholicism the Sacred Heart is an important icon with which I was often confronted as a small child. Bluntly put, the image is of Jesus chest cracked open to reveal his glowing heart. The holy organ exposed not for gory but glory. One shudders to think of how they'd represent the sacred colon. Some might declare it sacriligous to raise such an issue but pourquoi? Doth the scriptures not proclaim, "No blessed innard shall be higher than another. And thrice nay?"

Or as John Wayne so wisely observed in The Greatest Story Ever Told, "This colon truly was the sump of God."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those pics. of Jesus with the open chest are odd, to say the least. Poor Jesus, he didn't ask for that.

Dan Flynn said...

G,

You don't know the half of it. In every catholic church are the fourteen stations of the cross, essentially images of the torture of Christ as he made his way to be strung up. Lots of blood and gore and pain in those images. They used to terrify me as a child. Catholicism loves pain and blood and death and punishment. The buggers... it bloody did me nothing but harm as a child and here I am still angry about it...