Thursday, February 16, 2006

It seems Tutankhamen enjoyed...

a snifter or two of white wine or so says today's New Scientist Magazine. Of the six jars tested from his burial chamber one had evidence of red wine and the rest of white. I've seen photo's of those ancient Egyptian jars and we're not talking jam sizes here, no siree. Your average Egyptian jar was the size of a small giraffe and could hold a substantial quantity of wine. Legend says that a year passed before the sound of partying and vomit from within the Royal tomb finally gave way to silence. Many ancient Egyptians worried the boy King might have drank his fare rather than immediately boarding the celestial packet boat as he'd been ordered to by his mum. But hey, he was young, headstrong, first time away from home, what did they expect?

The evidence surprised archeologists who up to now believed white wine (incidentally a liebfraumilch which explains why it took so long to catch on) first appeared in 3AD. However 2,500 years previously Pinot Grigio and Chablis were the tipple of Pharoahs, though not being stupid the ex boy King also knew it was easier for a pilgrim to pass through the innards of a camel than enter Valhalla smelling of cheap plonk.

An alternative theory to explain the large jars is that Tut simply wasn't prepared to pay the outrageously inflated prices they charge for a drink on ferries.

6 comments:

Hayden said...

oh, Dan - your stories! Always sooo funny.... thanks yet again for sending me out of here w/ a silly smile on my face.

Dan Flynn said...

Hayden,

As ever your kind words are much appreciated. One does one's best to 'make em laugh.' Actually, I only post funny stuff that makes me laugh as well. Thanks tho. Your compliments are part of what keeps me going.

xx

DCveR said...

Man, sometimes you really show no sympathy for others! I mean, really, is it that much wine? After all it's not like we're talking dinner for two here, not even birthday party or wedding reception, we're talking ETERNITY here!!! Cut the pharaoh kid some slack Dan!

Buffy said...

You're funny as hell. You know this. Right?

Dan Flynn said...

D,

I think I was very kind to the young lad. Imagine what might have happened to history if he'd missed the boat? Too drunk to be divine. The whole of ancient Eygpt might have gone down the pan because he couldn't keep his mits off the booze. Of course your right, eternity is a long journey but the boy needed to learn a bit of patience. I remember childhood picnics where we wanted to eat the sandwiches the moment we set foot out the front door. Children, no sense of how to make things last.

Buffy,

I'm aware the stuff I write is funny, it makes me laugh too. However, it's nice to be appreciated by others, sort of peer review thing. And by the way I really like your writing. Gonna link your blog when I get a moment.

xx

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Aha, it was all the fumes that preserved Young Tut.