Monday, February 13, 2006

Last Friday...

whilst driving home from work a massive lorry passed me on the inside lane and as it turned a great hunk of steel tore the passenger side mirror from my car. Slipping into psycho mode I pursued said lorry until he stopped. From the lofty heights of his cab (so high there was a snow line with some boastful off-piste skiers who had about them the look of corporate lawyers) the driver stared down and through high altitude gusts mouthed that I was to blame. J'Accuse! I replied. His lips moved for some considerable time but the only words to reach me were "..uck off you knob." In circumstances such as these it's normal to exchange insurance details but by then his condors were sizing me up so it seemed more prudent to leave. Losing a mirror is a pisser but having my eyes pecked out by huge Andean Buzzards would have been a pill too bitter even for me to swallow, especially on a Friday night. I retreated, though as the truck pulled away was lucky enough to see one of the braggarts disappear toward the upper slopes hanging beneath a pair of talons. Small compensation I know but better than nothing.

6 comments:

DCveR said...

The proper procedure here in Portugal would be simply to get his license plate, stop where he hit your car, call the police and press charges on the other guy's insurance. If you were any lucky the other guy would have to pay and would also have an extra fine for abandoning an accident site.
This said... things would most likely happen the way you described.
Isn't driving great?

Anonymous said...

Vice-President Dick Cheney would know how to handle that situation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/13/politics/13cnd-cheney.html?hp&ex=1139893200&en=181b942291c6b3ef&ei=5094&partner=homepage

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Here all traffic would stop, there would be long, long altercation between the two drivers, the police would come and draw chalk lines on the road.

Either that or the dawg driver would be gone, leaving you eating his dust...smoke...

Annie said...

It's exactly for situations such as this that I will probably never learn to drive...

Dan Flynn said...

D,

Trouble is it was my word against his and even though my wing mirror was gone there was not a scratch on his enormous fuck off lorry, so I could't prove a thing. Boo Hoo.

G,

G,

He left me to eat his smoke. As I mention above there were no marks on his lorry, not one so I couldn't prove a thing and as there were no deaths or injuries there were no witnesses. I bet if I'd been plunged under the rear wheels and squashed like a bug with all my innards squelched over the highway, people would have stopped then, oh yes.

Annie,

I love driving, it's the other drivers I can't stand, or pedestrians, cyclists, zebra crossings, lollipop people, children in pushchairs, actually anyone who is out and about when I'm driving around. Now, is having a road to myself too much to ask? Eh? Eh?

Hayden said...

here in the US its up to the drivers and insurance companies to work it out. If there are no injuries the police refuse to be involved, no matter how severe the damage. Typically if one even stops and writes things down they won't fill out an accident report, so when you go to the police station there is nothing on file and you must first file the report yourself in order to get a copy of it for your insurance company.