Wednesday, May 03, 2006

I am not much of a...

painter. This is a bit of my yard wall painted on Saturday. Sean, who did most of the other bits was frustrated by my inability to keep it neat. The blame for this lies with a catholic education that (when I were a lad) believed the only way to develop a child's practical skills was via the lash. Result? I learned nothing except to fear paint and going over lines. In adulthood I've overcome that fear and now paint over lines just because I can. In fact it has become a principle, see a line paint over it, see another line step over it.

In metalwork there were T squares (?) which we used to establish 90 degree angles. I was bloody rubbish at that, could manage 89 degrees and even a wavy line but never ever in 5 years of high school a single 90 degree angle, no siree not one. The only exciting thing I ever remember from those lessons was some boy with an oxy/acetyline torch turning round and sweeping it across chest of innocent boy standing behind. The smell of that burning pullover/flesh combo has remained with me to this very day. I'm almost sure I was thrashed for that as well, but wait, could that boy with the blue flame have been me? Hang on, a mist is lifting, OHMIGOD IT WAS ME! AND WHAT'S THAT THERE, SMOULDERING IN THE YARD, BY THE BIN? IT LOOKS LIKE OLD RAGS. OHMIGOD!!!!! WHERE'S SEAN?

Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

DCveR said...

YOU turned around with an acetylene torch on your hand? 5 lashes!
Paiting over the lines? 10 lashes!!
Skipping mass on Sunday? 150 lashes!!!

You've got to admit the sound of it is kind of catching. I mean, were you to sentence people to physical punishment and you might get carried away too.
Let us say you could send Blair, W, Berlusconi amd other such characters to meet the whip...

Dan Flynn said...

D,

Don't get me going on lashes. Plus I never missed mass once as a kid, was too terrified of spending eternity in the pit of hell fire. Quite a burden for a young child to carry around don't you think? The concept of eternal pain and damnation just for missing mass. Little wonder I'm so pissed off with it still, after all these years.

Hayden said...

isn't there a world-wide Painting Over the Lines Day? or have I been deceived again....

Dan Flynn said...

Kathy,

Ha ha, 'that yellow is almost the same colour as my kitchen.' Excellent. That red of the houses opposite mine is almost same colour of my mood when I think of catholicism and cats. Hmmmm, I've just made an alliterative link between my two favourite foes. How clever. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Hayden,

Sadly you have been decieved but now you mention it, there should be such a day. We can call it carnival. A day for painting over lines, metaphorical and real. Oh yes.

x

Annie said...

I am scared to leave a comment about painting walls, as I've just pissed off someone else on his blog by suggesting that he beat the graffitti taggers by graffitti-ing his own walls first. Especially if I might anger someone so handy with a oxyacetyline torch.

Hayden said...

ummm... if we're going to get our own holiday can we mandate the use of body paint? or at least tattoos... lets blur all of the lines... ooooh, wait, while we're blurring all lines can we call for a auto soft-focus requirement on all cameras?




?

Dan Flynn said...

Annie,

It wuz an accident guv, honest!

Re the painting, I used to love colouring in when I was a kid and really tried to keep within the lines but was simply no good at it. Perhaps the experience scarred me hence my drive to scar others... I think that argument would work in a court of law.

Hsyden,

That body paint is funny stuff that certainly blurs once a sweat has been worked up. As for tatoos, I had one done for my 50th and really like it. Be sorry if it started to run tho.

Hayden said...

do tell! inquiring minds want to know! what was tattoo'd and what was the design?

I did one some years back but was too silly to link it to a birthday or a passage of some sort. I think it was really a generalized rebellion to discovering that I'd accidentally become a banker. that precarious path one treads when one likes one's job and despises one's profession...

Hayden said...

ehh, I don't despise my profession, that wasn't true. but other bankers bore me silly.

Dan Flynn said...

Hayden,

Sorry fer the delay in replying, been away. The tatoo? It's a sort of celtic band around the top of my left arm and I think of it as a rite of passage. I'm going to have a diff tatt done on my left arm when I get a moment because I like this one so much.