Sunday, April 17, 2005

I can't often be accused...

of not letting something go but a sub header on Friday's net news read "Pope's tailor already busy." Honest, it's like shooting fish... Anyway, this death thing becomes ever more intriguing. Elvis is the highest earning dead person, since the Pope's death his tailor is even busier. It's obvious we're being hustled here, and it's the dead wots doing it, the nerve of them. Now look, I try to see both sides in an argument, weigh up the pros and cons (unless it's nazis then there are no pros) but the dead earning more than the living cannot be right. I'm also upset that they wear out clothes quicker than children. I mean what can JP2 be doing in that box? In a previous blog I described a newspaper graphic of the coffin's interior but didn't mention, because I thought it a smudge, the multi-gym. It's not immediately obvious but on closer examination there it is by the gaming table. Another issue must be how little wear he's getting from those tracky bottoms despite them being in baggy. Which leads me to think that the clothing allowance for dead pontifs might not have kept pace with inflation. So the Vatican's buying cheap knockoff most probably from the local market thinking they can get away with it, thinking he'll not notice. Little wonder we're being hustled. If you ask me it's a false economy on the basis that he's only been dead a short while and eternity's still some way off. They should buy stuff that'll last, you pay a bit more but get it back in the quality.

All of this does beg a question though. If the Pope's tailor is so busy who's he making stuff for? Could it be... no I daren't say it... the Cardinals? A clue may be found in the latin root of the word 'conclave'. 'Con' of course is from the latin 'to change, or changing' and 'clave' is from the latin 'in a room'. Need I say more?

3 comments:

Mimi NY said...

Thanks for the lovely comment Dan... I get worried, I kind of veer between writing complete schlock and (what to me) is very important serious stuff... I guess it's finding a bridge between those two things to raise more people's awareness. Why did you go into social work? Sometimes I wish I could do more active stuff than just using words. Anyway, loved this post - you have a wicked blog going on. I miss that English sarcasm over here.x

Dan Flynn said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dan Flynn said...

I read the extract from your novel Yo-Yo and thought it razor sharp. Very Robert Crumb, a bit rude, a bit risque, a bit grotesque and very funny. I think Laurence Sterne would have been impressed. And given the gym scene, as a scene, has been done to death the sureality you developed gave it a freshness that made me laugh out loud.

Re the journalism, fuck Mimi, you got Pullitzer stamped all over that intellect of yours. Keep going mate. And as for the bowing and scraping to put bread on the table, well there's no shame in that. It only becomes a shame, when such skills are used against the many. Steps down from soap box, dusts off hands, opens bottle and raises glass to a fine writer in NY.