Wednesday, April 06, 2005

My mate Sean..,

for it is he, told me that there was to be a partial eclipse of the sun over Rome on Friday. I sometimes don't know where he gets this stuff from, for instance he also told me that just before the Pope was declared dead he was hit three times on the forehead with a silver hammer and his real name was called out to him. A silver hammer, what witchcraft is this? You'd have thought a religion as wealthy as catholicism could have afforded both a gold hammer and the services of a decent GP to confirm John Paul truly had left the building.

However, the eclipse thing could be a worry. Wasn't there a dimming of the light just as Jesus contemplated Peter's thinning pate that one last time? Better not go there, I mean how embarassing if JP2 rose again just as the new pope was elected? A spanner of that magnitude, phew, even I'd be impressed.

And what a poisoned chalice being elected could be, especially if they make the wrong choice. Isn't that what happened to JP1? God's money was on the Polish guy, true to form the curia put their shirt on the Italian. Then shite, God's a sore loser and the Italian gets it in his sleep. It's a risky business being a Prince of Rome.

2 comments:

Shane said...

'A spanner of that magnitude...', 'Then shite, God's a sore loser and the Italian gets it in his sleep'. Really nice phrasing. Like it.

Dan Flynn said...

Shane mate, I was brung up catholic and the bitterness runs so deep you can fucking mine it. I've heard said, "Dan, move on, get over it" But why, I've tons yet that needs dredging up, if that's not mixing my metaphors.